Friday, August 24, 2012

Eagle or Hippopotamus?

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud." ~Carl Sanburg



Photo credit: me

Today I can relate to Carl Sanburg's quote entirely; it's more of a hippopotamus type day. And I automatically wonder, was it the ice cream I ate yesterday? The gluten in the English muffin after days gluten-free? Or just a hormonal shift or not enough sleep or the fact that some days are just not-so-great? But what about when there are many days that are not-so-great, back to back?

How much do you think that food affects mood?

There are people all over the map on this: some believe that food and mood are in no way connected, others swear by how bad they feel emotionally, mentally of physically after eating foods from a certain group.

With all the food allergies and sensitivities, it's hard to know what to think about food these days. And maybe even thinking so much about food is part of the problem. The French think positively about food and are healthier than most Americans and seem to enjoy a higher level of satisfaction.

Maybe I'll learn more about food and mood in "Spontaneous Happiness," a book by Dr. Andrew Weil that I have on loan from the library.

What's been your personal experience between food and emotions? Do you feel that they are connected or not? Have you ever stopped or started eating a particular food and noticed a difference in your physical or mental health?

2 comments:

  1. Sugar gives me headaches...and sweetners make me forgetful. These are the things I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting notices--I think sugar makes me tired but I crave it so darn much it's hard to give up! Loving your blog . . .

    ReplyDelete