Friday, October 5, 2012

Breathing Holes


Remember that movie, "Click"? Adam Sandler played an average, everyday guy who found that he could magically fast forward the boring, dull, annoying or bad parts of life. This worked great--until he realized he'd missed half of his life.

But who of us doesn't sometimes wish we could press that button? Boss making unreasonable demands? Press. Spouse nagging you? Press. Woke up feeling discouraged and down? Press.

Yesterday I was talking with a pastor who I greatly respect about life stages, and how difficult it sometimes is as an introvert to deal with all the chaos and noise. He said that his wife, who is very introverted, has dealt with this throughout her life. When their kids were small, he said she had to seek out "breathing holes." Like seals who swim for long periods of time under thick, Arctic ice, breathing holes have to be found or the animal dies.

That's how it is for a lot of introverts, and not surprisingly, for a lot of artists. We need breathing holes.

This is something that seems so simple in theory but can be very difficult in practice. I'm reading, "Art Saves," by Jenny Doh right now and one theme that keeps coming up for many of the artists (no matter if they are full-time artists or not) is the challenge in carving out time to play. Every day.

I'm thinking of a challenge--a play challenge which will coincide with the launch of my brand new studio (I FINALLY found a name that I love and that ties together both writing and art). It will entail creative challenges and it absolutely doesn't matter if you're an artist, a writer or interested in any other creative field.

We're ALL artists, I really believe that. Some of us bake perfect cakes, some of us balance spreadsheets with precision, some of us dream up fundraisers and gather people together; artistry is more spiritual than mental, more a state of being than of what comes out of one's fingertips.

Tell me about your breathing holes. What do you do when you find yourself with 15 or more minutes and just need a break from life? What do you find most relaxing and how often do you take time to do that activity (or non-activity)?

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more about your art / writing studio! Is it a physical space or online? I have a sewing studio and an "office" - and I go crazy when I don't get creative time. It's been difficult the last couple of weeks. I would love to hear more about your challenges! Looking forward! "Talk" to you soon... and I haven't forgotten the other topic we talked about....
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucinda. I'm psyched as we now have a painting date set for my studio--it's a physical space (spare bedroom) and has been the most hideous shade of pepto since we moved in with huge, cabbage roses for a border (shiver, shiver). It will be WONDERFUL to have it painted a soft, dreamy cream. And yes, I'm actually opening an online (etsy) shop as well. I know, I too need that creative time or I feel like I'll come frayed around the edges. :)

      Delete